Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

FROM DIRT to THE KITCHEN TABLE - Dalla Terra alla Tavola

Basil

"People are becoming more and more concerned with what they're eating–as well they should," says Chuck Eggert, CEO of Pacific Foods, a company committed to sustainable agriculture. . "I think we're just on the beginning edges of a huge nutritional transformation." I agree.
Be part of this “nutritional transformation” by growing your own vegetables.  Not enough space for a vegetable garden like mine?  No problem.  Consider growing vegetables in containers.  Nearly any type of vegetable can be grown in pots.  From lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and beans.  Cucumbers also thrive in containers, especially the compact varieties.

Lettuce
Tomato plant and cabbage


















Why not try a few containers and join the sustainable food revolution.  Once you eat the fresh vegetables straight from the garden, you’ll agree that there is nothing quite as sweet as home-grown veggies.
First tomato
Crisp lettuce
All photos - Copyright - ©2011 - La Casa e Il Giardino – picasaweb

Now go and express your creativity.

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! In tropical Northern Australia winter is our peak growing season. So my garden is filled with tomatoes, lettuces, beans, corn, radishes,parsley and carrots. I don't have a huge garden but I always put in a bit of everything. What joy it is to sit down to a meal from our garden. On the weekend I made my first mozzarella so I can't wait until our tomatoes are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcellina - I have relatives in Perth. Your growing season must be longer than ours. Our growing season runs from May to September and then the frost comes and kills everything. Yes, there is a definite difference between vegetables freshly picked and the ones warehoused in supermarkets. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete