Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Friday, October 9, 2020

VINTAGE HANDKERCHIEFS: A Dive in the Past - (Fazzoletti vintage : Un tuffo nel Passato)


There was a time when in every woman bag there was an embroidered handkerchief.  Not only was it an accepted practice to keep this handy cloth on you for practical reasons but it also served as a cheap way to accessorize clothes and add color to outfits.  Then Kleenex came along warning people to "not put a cold in their pocket" in the form of a snotty handkerchief.


For me, there’s still something charming and elegant about pulling out a well-designed, well-crafted hanky. 

I believe when collecting handkerchiefs, one is also collecting memories of people, places and special moments.  

Here's a peak into my handkerchief box.







Once upon a time, handkerchiefs were tokens of affection and both men and women saw the handkerchief as a representation of love.

When I was a child, a song based on "il fazzolettino" (small handkerchief) was popular:  https://youtu.be/WJyHLVxpk7k
 

Amor, dammi quel fazzolettino...

vado alla fonte e lo voglio lavar.

Te lo lavo alla pietra di marmo...

ogni sbattuta è un sospiro d'amor.

Te lo stendo su un ramo di rose...

per ogni spina è un bacino d'amor.

Te lo stiro col ferro a vapore... (*)

ogni pieghina è un bacino d'amor.

Te lo porto di sabato sera...

di nascosto di mamma e papà.

C'è chi dice "L'amor non è bello"...

certo quello l'amor non sa far.

Translation: 

Love give me that little handkerchief

Love, give me that little handkerchief ...

I'm going to the fountain and I want to wash it (for you).

I'll wash it on the marble stone 

each stroke is (like) a sigh of love.

I'll lay it to dry on a branch of roses 

for each thorn is a small kiss of love.

I'll iron it for you with a steam iron 

each fold4 is a small kiss of love.

I'll bring it to you on Saturday night 

hiding5 from (my) mom and dad.

Some say that "love is not beautiful" 

certainly, they haven't experienced such love.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment