Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

BRIOCHE CON CREMA, Cream Puffs, Profiteroles

Recently, I made these delicious cream puffs for my daughter's baby shower along with other traditional Italian cookies. 

Profiteroles or Cream Puffs in my Italian tray
Images: ©2010 - La Casa e Il Giardino -picasaweb

Ingredients

1 cup of water
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs

Combine butter and water in saucepan; bring to a boil and then lower heat until butter is melted.

Add flour all at one time and stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball and leaves the sides of the pan.  Remove from heat.

Add unbeaten eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition; continue beating until a thick dough is formed.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet or parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Bake in a hot oven (425 degrees) about 25-30 minutes.  Do not open door during early part of baking.

When cool, with a small knife, cut a slit in the side of each and fill with cream.  Before serving, dust with confectionery sugar.

Yield:  about 15 cream puffs.

Cream filling (Crema pasticcera)

Cream Filling

Sugar, 2/3 cup
Flour, 4 tablespoons
Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
Milk, 2 cups
Eggs, 2 or egg yolks, 4 (I prefer yolks)
 slightly beaten
Cinnamon stick, 1
Large lemon peel

Combine dry ingredients in top of double boiler, stir milk gradually.  Add lemon peel and cinnamon stick.  Cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

Stir a little of the hot mixture into slightly beaten eggs or egg yolks; slowly stir into remaining hot mixture.  Cook over hot (not boiling water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Chill.

5 comments:

  1. This recipe sound so decadent !! I want to make these for my daughters birthday but I have 2 questions before I start. How much water do I use with the butter ? When making the cream filling, when do I add the cinnamon stick and lemon peel ? I will let you know how they turn out.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - Thank you for commenting. I should have revised the recipe. Sorry.
    1 cup of water for the pastry. Add the lemon peel and cinnamon stick after stirring in the milk. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa - thank you for the updates on this recipe. I made them for my daughters birthday and they were fabulous !! Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes and family history. My family is from Rionero Santico in Molise. Your way of preparing food etc is so much like the way our family grew up and how I still do so much today.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. i worked in a factory with ,,good italian cooks,,t,,it was like a cream ,,but not a custard,,
    they would bake from friday night til sunday evening,,but the cream i cant seem to find to make gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream Filling

      Sugar, 2/3 cup

      Flour, 4 tablespoons

      Salt, 1/4 teaspoon

      Milk, 2 cups

      Eggs, 2 or egg yolks, 4 (I prefer yolks)

      slightly beaten

      Cinnamon stick, 1

      Large lemon peel


      Combine dry ingredients in top of double boiler, stir milk gradually. Add lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

      Stir a little of the hot mixture into slightly beaten eggs or egg yolks; slowly stir into remaining hot mixture. Cook over hot (not boiling water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Chill.

      Delete