Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

LAST NIGHT DINNER - Dandelions, Fava Beans and Wild Pollock

Boy, that was good! 

Once a week, we have fish for dinner.  So yesterday, I went shopping for fish.  I am frugal and picky when it comes to fish.  I try to stay away from farm-raised fish. The farm-raised fish are fattier because they are largely confined and fed a steady diet of formulated protein pellets.  They are also treated with vaccines and antibiotics to ward off infection. With these type of facts, I choose to "go wild".  I bought wild Pollock. Pollock is a cheaper and versatile alternative to cod and haddock.  Price $2.99/lb.

Braised Wild Pollock Steak

Braised Wild Pollock Steak

One Pollock steak (1" thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
Salt and pepper
In a non-stick skillet, add the olive oil, garlic and shallots.  Saute' briefly.  Add the fish and saute' first on high to sear it on the outside until it is browned to give it visual interest and to develop flavour (about 5 minutes on each side).  Add the chopped thyme, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and continue to cook on low heat for an additional 15 minutes turning over once.

Wine Pairing – You know the famous rule white wine with fish, fish with white wine. The main rule to remember about pairing wine with food is that there are no rules: you should drink the wines you like with the foods you like. I prefer to pair any food with my robust, home-made wine.

Alla salute!

Images: ©2010 - La Casa e Il Giardino -picasaweb

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks for the information on the pollack...I'm going to try that. Could you give us the recipe for the dandelions and fava beans. My grandmother and mother used to dig up the dandelions at the neighbors houses when I was a kid...wouldn't eat them...now I love them...and they are so healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Thank you for commenting. Many years ago we used to pick them in fields. Today, I buy bunches of dandelions at farmers' markets. I will add the recipe.

    ReplyDelete