Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

FIRST PEACHES OF SUMMER - Le Prime Pesche d'Estate

Georgia peaches

Despite a frosty March, the first peaches of the summer are arriving slowly and they are sweeter than sugar. These treats have a beautiful orange skin and golden flesh and so sweet that I ate three in one sitting.
....And I did not stop there, I decided to make Peaches in Wine (our own made wine).

4 large peaches, ripe and firm
1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice 
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 bottle young red wine
Italian carafes

Cut each peach in wedges. Place them in a bowl and add lemon and sugar.  Mix gently and thoroughly. 
After few minutes, add enough wine to fully cover the peaches. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 8 hours or overnight. Serve cold in individual glasses.


All photos - Copyright - ©2011 - La Casa e Il Giardino – picasaweb






The perfect complement to peaches are almonds - raw almond cookies (photo) or  spumetti.  






I have a confession to make, I did not wait 8 hours to eat the peaches and drink the wine.

6 comments:

  1. Mimi - I grew up on yellow cling peaches. Have not had any since childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ate 3 in one sitting? LOL. Let us know how that turns out tomorrow. ;)

    I looked at those peaches in that wine glass and said, "They do not look like they were sitting for 8 hrs." So I had to laugh out loud when I saw you didn't wait. I wouldn't wait to drink the wine either.

    I'm going to have to hit the farmers' market here. I've got one like 1-1/2 miles from my house. You just can't buy such luscious fruit in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan - Thank you for commenting.
    1. I love good peaches (not those imported ones with freezer burn).
    2. I slept like a baby from the wine, and
    3. In the morning my gut performed nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peaches and the wine doesn't hurt either :) I will give it a try. I have been hooked on a liquid supplement that is proving out to be as good as advertised. I just got my Mom & Dad on it and they are feeling the positive effects as well. You can't beat a healthy diet and exercise, but this is a great gap filler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim - Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete