Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Singer Sewing Machine, Vogue Patterns and a Little Style


My mother sewed most of my clothes from childhood to adulthood.  She also sewed curtains, embroidered, crocheted and knitted.  Growing up, I had one-of-a-kind dresses and enjoyed the fact that there were no copies.  As a result, my sense of fashion and style was unique and original.




We owned a vintage Singer sewing machine. 
( I still have it to this day).










Our kitchen table doubled as a sewing room. Spools of thread, yards of fabric, buttons, and many, many patterns – Vogue, Butterick, McCalls and Simplicity.













Apricot suit - Vogue Pattern





In the early 60’s, like many other young women, I was influenced by Jackie Kennedy’s look – her simplicity and sophistication. I wanted to look and dress like her. My mother and I every Saturday would go to a fabric store and eagerly thumb through catalogs looking for just that “look”. With my mother’s sewing skills and Vogue patterns, it was possible to copy the latest Paris fashions. I would cut out the patterns and read the instructions and my mother would do the sewing.





Easter  - White Wool Sleeveless Dress with Cape

  Golden yellow wool dress with jacket Vogue Pattern

                            Chartreuse color suit Vogue Pattern
                   


Today, when I see young ladies dress like hookers with short, stretchy and curvy attires leaving nothing to the imagination, I think that perhaps they should go back and learn what makes a true style icon.  True style does not age but remains "forever young".

Related Links:





4 comments:

  1. Love, love that very stylish suit!! It is classy and timeless!!! Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marjenann -
    Thank you. I had other beautiful suits, but no photos to scan.
    Probably, you will not believe this - as I was blogging about this, I was thinking about your blog and your clothing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Vogue pattern is lovely, as is your suit.

    ReplyDelete