|Berry Cream Cake|
Sponge cake* (or 1 package of sponge cake mix and follow directions)
1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
4 cups (1000 ml) fresh strawberries
2 cups (500 ml) fresh raspberries
1/4 cup (60 ml) confectioner's sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp grated lemon peel
- butter and flour for the pan
- Separate the eggs putting the yolks in a large bowl and the whites in a smaller bowl. Add the sugar to the yolks, and beat until very thick and light yellow in color.
- Beat the whites until they stand stiff.
- Fold the whites into the yolk-sugar mixture. Turn it over slowly and gently until completely mixed.
- Sift the flour (even if you don't usually sift flour--do it).
- Fold the flour slowly, a bit at a time, to the egg-sugar mixture.
- Add the vanilla and lemon peel, folding in gently.
- Butter and flour a heart shaped baking pan. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. When done the cake will be toasty on top, and a toothpick will come out clean. Let cool.
- Whip cream until almost stiff. Gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat until cream forms peaks.
- Wash the berries and cut the strawberries in half.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Spread whipping cream over bottom layer of cake.
- Arrange a layer of strawberries and raspberries (saving some for garnish) onto the whipping cream.
- Add the top layer of the cake on top of the berries. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Top with remaining berries. Serve immediately.