Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Art of Womanhood

      Even in this digital age, I believe that having some hand skills is very relevant.



     When I see many women not knowing how to sew a button, cook a meal with fresh ingredients or bake a cake from scratch, it worries me. Many women I know shop as some form of therapy, for gratification and for simply having something to do.  Having hand skills beats loneliness and the feeling of uselessness especially in retirement.

Home-made pasta

sausage making


    Thanks to the skills I learned from my mother, today not only do I know how to stay hyper-connected, but I know how to cook, sew, butcher, garden and anything in between. Creating something, whether it’s making pottery, knitting, sewing or cooking, gives anyone a sense of pride. 


Hand-stitched, wine-themed kitchen towels


Kitchen towels in eco-friendly packaging


Hand-stitched giftcard packaging

Gardening 








6 comments:

  1. I agree.
    People tell me I'm so 'crafty' (A term I cannot stand by the way). In reality, I like to always be doing something. I like to make things, but I like for them to have a purpose. And I don't see why I should buy something when I can make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - Thank you for stopping and commenting. I also dislike the word "crafty" or you're a Martha Stewart. Like you, I like to keep busy and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower! Okay so tell me how to make those wine kitchen towels please : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - Thank you for being my newest follower.
    As to the wine kitchen towels - I buy 100% cotton, plain, waffle kitchen towels at Home Goods, Marshall, or TJ Max. I then buy the wine fabric which comes in panels. I cut each panel and hand-sew them on the kitchen towels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend just pointed out your blog to me not 20 minutes ago and I immediately loved it. I used to be married to a lovely Italian man. Adored his family. My friend sent me the fig post. It reminded me of my Italian family's fig tree. At any rate, love your ideas.

    My next post to read was this one and if you take a peek at the magazine and business that I am growing, you can imagine my joy at seeing your quote above! http://www.artizenmagazine.com (Should you take a look, just click on the lg cover image on the home page and my digital magazine will open in your browser.) I hope you enjoy. And I look forward to your blog. I TOTALLY agree with your sentiments here, not only for women, but men as well. So many skills are going by the wayside, I just feel people are lost with no sense of contentment or satisfaction from a job well done. I'm not sure they even realize what is missing. With my magazine, I hope to at least remind them of the amazing things that are part of life and creating.

    All the best,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy - Thank you for stopping and commenting.
    I briefly looked at your magazine and found it to be very interesting. Will take a deeper look later and share. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete