Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Fried Sardines - Sarde fritte

As I mentioned in previous posts, we like sardines because they are good for you.

Today, I visited my fishmonger and he recommended the small sardines.

Small sardines
All photos - Copyright - ©2011 - La Casa e Il Giardino – picasaweb


Large sardines are great on the grill (grillate o sulla brace).  


These sardines are small and they are great fried.

Fried Sardines

1 pound fresh sardines
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper



Procedure
Remove heads from the sardines (grab the head with two fingers and pull down towards the stomach). Rinse them thoroughly.
Coat the fish with flour.

Shake off excess flour.


 Place oil in a frying pan. When smoking hot, add coated sardines few at a time.


Fry for 5 to 6 minutes.


 Add salt and pepper and serve hot or at room temperature.






I am sure, you'll agree that there is nothing like it.






3 comments:

  1. the first time I had these was in Calabria. My cousin cooked them for us. They were so absolutely delicious, I ate the whole things. Her husband looked at me eating them tails and all and said "yup, she's a Torchia"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed your blog because of busy work commitments and now I had a good look back! What a wonderful garden! Oddly in our tropics now (winter) is our garden time and all is growing well. I love checking out other peoples garden and seeing what they grow! The tripe is just like my late mother used to make! And this sardines are mouthwatering!
    Have you read "Mezza Italiana" by an Australian author Zoe Boccabella who goes back to Fossa, Abruzzo to her family roots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi - You must return to Calabria to enjoy them again.

    Marcellina - No, I never read "Mezza Italiana". I will certainly look for it at Amazon Thank you.

    ReplyDelete