Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Traditional Christmas Desserts of Casalbordino (Abruzzo)

At Christmastime, every home in Abruzzo makes traditional desserts.  Although the names are similar, the ingredients vary from town to town.

These are part of the culinary tradition of Casalbordino , my birth place.


Scrippelle

Tarallucci (indigenous to Casalbordino)

Caggionetti di ceci (chick peas)
Caggionetti di Ceci

Ingredients for the pastry dough:

4 cups of unbleached flour
½ cup olive oil
½ cup of white wine

Ingredients for the filling:

1 lb. chickpea puree (chick peas cooked fresh)
1 cup of peeled, toasted almonds finely chopped
1 orange peel finely chopped
¼ cup sugar or honey
¼ cup rum or anisette
4 tbs. cocoa powder, unsweetened or 2 square of chocolate (melted)
1 tablespoon cinnamon

4 cups of olive oil for frying

Preparation:


Combine the almonds, the cinnamon and the chocolate and mix well. Then add the chick pea puree, the sugar, the liqueur and orange peel. Allow to rest for several hours, while preparing the flour dough with olive oil and wine. Stretch the dough. Put the filling on the dough as they do for the ravioli. Fry the "ravioli" in olive oil without browning them. Finally sprinkle with powdered sugar.

10 comments:

  1. E 'la prima visita al tuo blog e adoro le tue ricette, vi invito a visitare il mio.
    Felice 2011. Saluti da VIGO ESPAÑA MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rispondo con un po di ritardo. Scusa.
    Grazie per averti fermata. Visitero' il tuo blog con piacere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Eliza

    Ha un bellissimo blog. Auguri. Quando ritorno in Abruzzo provo a seguire le tue ricette. Grazie!

    Saluti da Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the daughter of Ermindo Natale (born in Casalbordino) from NJ and am so happy for this blog. I love all the traditional recipes as I was raised with them and plan to pass them on to my children. Do you have a recipe for the tarallucci? I would love to try and make them on my own and surprise my father for Christmas! Please email me at onetrubella@aol.com. Tanti Grazie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my aunt who is from abruzzi is looking for the taralluci recipe.her mom passed away and she doesnt remember how to make them! i knew you would have the recipe!! you can email me if possible at chompo7@yahoo.com

    joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I'll see what I can do. You'll hear from me via e-mail.

      Delete
  6. We too would like the tarallucci recipe. It was the only dessert my mother-in-law made and she passed away 8 years ago. I used your stuffed eggplant recipe and they came out exactly as we remember! Thank you for posting the recipe!

    The DiRisio Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Florinda, I was born in Casalbordino. Mi piace tanto il taralluccio! I want to know the combination of the ingredients for the filling, I wish I had "il mustocotto" My mother made them so delicious, you know... a little bit of this and a pinch of that. I would appreciate your recipe. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied via email. Did not publish the recipe as I do not have a precise recipe for them. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete