Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Friday, October 15, 2010

WHITING - Fish of the Poor - Merluzzo - Pesce dei Poveri





When my family and I came to the US in the late 50's, we purchased Whiting from a street vendor. The cost was 4 lbs. for $1.00. As immigrants, we were mocked for eating cheap fish. Today, I still like its delicate, mild flavor, and firm textured white flesh. I poach, bake, broil, and panfry it. Great value and good source of protein.


Fried Whiting


Buying Tips:

Buy whiting from a reputable fish store. Whiting should smell fresh, clean and oceanic. The flesh should be clean and translucent looking and the color good. For whole fish, the eyes should be well rounded and clear, not sunken, dry and cloudy. The gills should have good vibrant color.

Whiting arranged in baking dish and ready to bake
Oven Baked Whiting

1 lb. fresh whiting or fillets
1/2 lg. green or red pepper, chopped (I prefer hot)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp. snipped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
Lemon (optional)

Place fish in a baking pan. Add salt, pepper, garlic and parsley and oil. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. To add crispness, place pan under a broiler for 5 to 7 minutes.


Images: ©2010 - La Casa e Il Giardino -picasaweb

6 comments:

  1. bottom line, I love "poor" food like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I often fished off Long Branch pier when we were first married. I think we did catch whiting. I passed our catch on to my mother. She too liked "poor man's food"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see fresh whiting get its due as a delicious and serviceable fish. It's among the best types of fish for pan-frying as fries perfectly in just a little oil.

    Cheers,
    Alaiyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alaiyo - Thank you for commenting. Whiting is a great fish and a great value. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father calls it peasant food. It's the best! I make whiting poached with leeks. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke for commenting. Whiting is delicious fried, baked and poached.

      Delete