Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Under the PERGOLA - Sotto la Pergola

For my parents and many Italian immigrants, dining al fresco meant home-made pizzas, home-made wine and long chats under the shade of a pergola (a practical and affordable garden structure).


Family and Friends Easter 1974


Dining al fresco, also meant whole families gathering under the pergola in the summer to enjoy a meal and on occasion reaching upward for a bunch of plumb grapes for dessert.

Entertaining Italian Relatives 1981


This pergola  was built by my father in 1965.  It was built with old scrap tubing which he carried home piece by piece since he did not drive.

Today, the simple charcoal grill on the patio or the shade created by a hand-made pergola is no longer enough to provide the entertaining atmosphere some of us are looking for.  Now-a-days people are looking for that WOW factor that can not be found with the styles of the past.


Charcoal grills


Today, dining al fresco has translated into furnishings that create outdoor living spaces. Our backyards have become kitchens, fire pits for kids to toast marshmallows and eating areas with cushioned chairs and mosquito-zapping lamps.


WOW outdoor spaces



My parents' Pergola


Today, my parents are gone to a better place but their pergola lives on quietly but full of memories.


Will these WOW, outdoor spaces create memories that warm the heart?

Dialect Abruzzese for Under the Pergola is Sotto la Capanna. 
I invite to listen to the music of  N'duccio" called "Sotto La Capanna" on YouTube
























9 comments:

  1. When I first looked at these pictures, I thought it was my family. Our gatherings, under a large pergola look remarkably like yours!! Even the people look like my family!! What great memories your pictures bring back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. marjenann - Thank you for commenting. By the way, we still own and maintain my parents house for income and for memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shared your post with my cousin, and she said even the people look like us!!!
    One of our cousins still lives in the familly house. What good times we all had there!!! Just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have added some Abruzzese music by 'Nduccio interestingly called "Sotto la Capanna". I hope you all will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, thank you so much for the videos, they both put a broad smile on my face and forced a good strong laugh or two... The photos of the pergola brought back memories of my youth in the 1950s when my family could always be found dining under ours, the food really tasted so much better so it seems... Since I'm not good with the hammer instead of building a pergola I planted several different varieties of fig trees from cuttings that I brought in from Italy (shhhh), now that the trees are large and intersect I have a "green" pergola where I not only dine with family and friends but where I do most of my reading and writing, plus when a meal is finished one only has to reach above their heads for a fresh dessert. Thank you for your story about your pergola and also for the great videos.... By the way, I'm addicted to your site. grazie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prego, Gian.
    Thank you for commenting and I am glad you enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella!!! Sempre Forte e Gentile .....Mr1abruzzo (youtube).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo beau reportage. Ma famille italienne ne vivait pas en ville mais à la campagne mais je reconnais le mode de vie et les diners du dimanche

    ReplyDelete