Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Friday, July 23, 2010

SWISS CHARD ON STEROIDS - Bietola

I don't know what my husband puts on the swisschard, but it resembles spinach on steroids. Perhaps it's the amount of manure he puts on.


I personally love this attractive vegetable braised or sauteed with garlic.  The leaves and
 meaty white or ruby stems and ribs, provide a meaty texture and a flavor that is herbaceous but not bitter.


Swisschard with potatoes

Recipe

1 bunch swisschard
2 potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 red dry chili (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Take a small bunch of swisschard and two cubed potatoes and cook until tender.  Once cooked, drain.
In the meantime, take 1/2 cup of olive oil and saute' 2 cloves of garlic until golden, add salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes and immediately pour over cooked swisschard.  Mix well and serve.

Simple and yummy.




2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Looks fabulous! Mine isn't that large, but here in Westchester County NY I believe we're a zone cooler than your climate.
    I found your blog via a comment you left on Divina Cucina by the way--we have a lot in common, as I can tell you miss your homeland of Italy, and even though I was born and raised in the US, my husband and I are moving to Italy at our very first opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. I love the USA but my values and traditions are Italian. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete