Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

My Favorite Treats - Dolci di Noci

I love espresso coffee after dinner. I do not like sugar in my coffee, but I like to have something sweet (like a cookie) to accompany the coffee. Being health conscious, I have been searching for a cookie that wasn't too sweet, good and nutritious. I have finally achieved what I wanted. In fact, these little 'cookies' are almost too healthy to be called cookies. They are so very easy to make. You only need a mixing bowl and basic kitchen utensils. I love recipes like this… perfect for the times when you  want to bake something delicious but don’t have time for something complex.

Dolci di Noci  (Walnut Cookies)

1 lb. of finely chopped raw walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup natural raisins (optional)
Grated rind (zest) of one lemon
1 tbsp. lemon juice (from same lemon)
Grated rind (zest) of one orange
1 tsp. cinnamon

Procedure:

Beat lightly eggs and sugar
Add walnuts, raisins, lemon and orange zest  lemon juice, and cinnamon.
Mix ingredients thoroughly
Take a teaspoonful and drop into a greased cooking sheet
Bake in a preheated oven 325-340 degrees (depending on oven) for 15 minutes.

OR

Shape mixture into logs approx. 2" wide and cover with the glaze





Ingredients for Glaze

1 egg white
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup of sugar

Prepare the glaze by beating the ingredients and pour over each rod.
Cut the logs into small pieces (1 inch) in length.
Bake in a preheated oven 325-340 degrees (depending on oven) for 15 minutes.










4 comments:

  1. I can not wait to try these. They look and sound perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little late in thanking you for commenting. I hope you liked the recipe.

      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  2. I am too an avid healthy eater. I cannot wait to try this treat for Easter! Thank you! Antonietta from Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antonietta - Thank you for commenting. We love them and I hope you'll like them also. You may also like: Spumetti
      http://casa-giardino.blogspot.com/2011/03/spumetti-simple-and-delicious-almond.html
      Happy Easter!

      Delete